Internet content filtering for guest WiFi is an effective means of protecting organizations´ wireless networks from malicious software (“malware”). Malware can originate from many different sources and, not only infects individual devices, but can spread throughout an entire network – contaminating any device that connects to it.
Internet filters for WiFi hotspots do not guarantee an infection-free zone, but they can mitigate the risk from web-borne threats by preventing Internet users from visiting websites likely to contain malware. Internet content filtering for guest WiFi can also prevent Internet users from downloading unsafe files from websites with exploited security vulnerabilities.
How Internet Filters for WiFi Hotspots Work
Internet filters for WiFi hotspots typically have a three-tiered filtering mechanism for unified threat management – blacklists, category filters and keyword filters.
- Blacklists are lists of websites known to harbor malware, websites with security vulnerabilities that are likely to have been exploited by a hacker, and websites that hide their true identity behind a proxy IP address.
- Category filters prevent Internet users from visiting websites within certain categories. Websites are categorized according to their content and can be blanket-blocked by each organization depending on its acceptable use policies and propensity to risk.
- Keyword filters prevent Internet users from visiting web pages containing specific words, web applications or file types. They also allow organizations to fine-tune their Internet filters for WiFi hotspots when required.
When an Internet user requests access to a website – either by clicking on a link or typing in a URL – the request is compared against the blacklists, category filters and keyword filters that have been applied. Access to the requested website is subsequently allowed or denied depending on whether the requested website appears on a blacklist and the parameters that have been set within the category and keyword filters.
By preventing access to websites known to harbor malware, those with security vulnerabilities, and those with proxy IP addresses, Internet content filtering for guest WiFi mitigates the risk that a mobile device used by a guest, an employee or a customer will be infected with malware. It also reduces the risk that an entire network will be infected, with the potential loss of use, loss of business and loss of credibility for the organization.
Many Benefits of Internet Content Filtering for Guest WiFi
In addition to mitigating the risk from web-borne threats, there are many benefits of Internet content filtering for guest WiFi. Organizations in regulated industries can configure Internet filters for WiFi hotspots to protect the data stored on their servers, while schools, libraries and other educational institutions can use Internet content filtering for guest WiFi to comply with the Children´s Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
In organizations where a wireless Internet service is provided for employees, the filter´s parameters can be set to prevent access to non-work related online activities. This is not only likely to increase productivity, but avoid potential HR issues for employees failing to comply with an acceptable use policies. It will also prevent accusations of an organization failing to address a hostile working environment caused by exposure to pornography, racial hatred or other discriminatory factors.
For many organizations, the reports generated by Internet filters for WiFi hotspots will provide an insight into their guests browsing activities. This information can be used by the organization to tailor special offers and promotions and attract repeat spend. Positive word-of-mouth advertising from existing satisfied customers can also generate new business for an organization that has implemented Internet content filtering for guest WiFi.
By mitigating the risk of web-borne threats and eliminating exposure to inappropriate online material, organizations show that they care about their guests, employees and customers. The positive PR following the announcement that McDonalds and Starbucks are to implement Internet filters for WiFi hotspots is an indication of the importance the public places on being provided with a safe and secure online experience.
Internet Filters for WiFi Hotspots from TitanHQ
TitanHQ is an industry leader in online security. For more than a decade the company has developed online security solutions designed to offer robust protection without complicated management. This policy has resulted in the development of WebTitan Cloud for WiFi – a 100% cloud-based solution for Internet content filtering for guest WiFi that delivers maximum security with imperceptible latency.
Being a cloud-based solution, no hardware purchases or software installations are required. Organizations simply redirect their DNS to WebTitan´s servers and can be filtering Internet content within minutes. WebTitan Cloud for Wi-Fi supports static and dynamic IPs, is fully scalable and compatible with every type of mobile device operating system.
In addition to providing unified threat management though a three-tier filtering mechanism, WebTitan Cloud for WiFi offers multi-lingual filtering, APIs for backend integration with LDAP, NetIQ and Active Directory, and SSL inspection to detect security vulnerabilities in encrypted websites. For organizations with a nationwide network of WiFi hotspots, our Internet filters for WiFi hotspots support an unlimited number of devices in multiple locations.
Summary of the Benefits of WebTitan Cloud for WiFi
- Create a family-friendly, safe and secure web browsing environment
- Filter the Internet across multiple WiFi hotspots
- Manage access points through a single web-based administration panel
- Delegate management of access points
- Filter by website, website category, keyword term, or keyword score
- Block material contained in the child abuse image content URL list (CAIC List)
- Upload blacklists and create whitelists
- Reduce the risk of phishing attacks
- Block malware and ransomware downloads
- Inspect encrypted websites with SSL certificates
- Schedule and run reports on demand
- Gain a real-time view of internet activity
- Gain insights into bandwidth use and restrict activities to conserve bandwidth
- Integrate the solution into existing billing, auto provisioning and monitoring systems through a suite of APIs.
- Apply time-based filtering controls
- Multiple hosting options, including within your own data center
- Can be supplied as a white label for MSPs and resellers
- World class customer service
- Highly competitive pricing and a fully transparent pricing policy
Internet content filtering for guest WiFi is managed via a web-based portal. System administrators can apply acceptable use policies by user, user group, or by time from any location. Filtering parameters can be adjusted as necessary via an intuitive interface, while fully customizable reports will identify attempts to circumnavigate the filter or breach acceptable use policies.
Trial Our Internet Content Filtering for Guest WiFi
If you represent an organization that has not yet implemented Intent content filtering for guest WiFi - or an MSP interested in adding white-labelled Internet filters for WiFi hotspots to your portfolio - we invite you to call and speak with a member of our experienced and friendly sales team. Our sales engineers will be able to answer any question you may have regarding Internet content filtering for guest WiFi and offer you a thirty day free trial to evaluate WebTitan Cloud for WiFi in your own environment.
There is no commitment on your to continue with WebTitan Cloud for WiFi once your free trial has expired. Our “try before you buy” offer gives organizations the opportunity to experience the high levels of safety and security provided by Internet content filtering for guest WiFi and to determine what level of service would be required if the decision is made to continue Internet content filtering for guest WiFi. Thereafter, a comprehensive range of subscription options exists to suit every budget.
Call us today to find out more and begin your free trial of WebTitan Cloud for WiFi.