DNS web filtering for MSPs is an easy way to improve security for your clients, save them money, and boost your profits. This post explains the benefits of a DNS-level web filter for MSPs and their clients.
DNS web filtering is a great way for MSPs to boost profits, save clients money, and better protect them from cyber threats. Web filtering is an essential cybersecurity measure that businesses of all sizes should be using as part of their arsenal against malware, ransomware, botnets and phishing attacks. However, many MSPs fail to include web filtering in their security offerings and consequently miss out on an important income stream: One that requires little effort and generates regular monthly revenue.
What Are the Benefits of Web Filtering?
There are two main benefits of web filtering: Enforcing Internet usage policies and improving cybersecurity. Employees need to be able to access the Internet for work purposes, but many employees spend a considerable percentage of their working day accessing websites that have no work purpose. Cyberslacking costs businesses dearly. Businesses that do not filter the Internet will be paying their employees to check personal mail, view YouTube videos, visit dating websites, and more. A web filter will help to curb these non-productive activities and will also prevent employees from accessing inappropriate or illegal web content which can prevent legal and compliance issues.
A recent study by Spiceworks revealed the extent of the problem. 28% of employees at large companies (more than 1,000 employees) spend more than four hours a week on personal Internet use and the percentages increase to 45% for mid-sized businesses and 51% for small businesses. The difference in those figures reflects the fact that more large businesses have implemented web filters. 89% of large companies have implemented a web filter to curb or prevent personal Internet usage and, as a result, they benefit from an increase in productivity of the workforce.
Web filtering is essential in terms of cybersecurity. The Spiceworks study revealed 90% of large companies use a web filter to block malware and ransomware infections. A web filter prevents employees from accessing websites known to be used for phishing and those that host malware.
The Spiceworks study showed just how important a web filter is in this regard. 38% of companies had experienced at least one security incident in the past year as a result of employees visiting web pages for personal use, most commonly webmail services and social media channels.
Additional benefits of web filtering include improving network performance and ensuring sufficient bandwidth is available for all users – by blocking access to bandwidth-heavy online activities such as gaming and video streaming.
From the productivity gains alone, a web filter will pay for itself. Add in the costs that are saved by preventing malware and phishing attacks and use of a web filter really is a no brainer.
Why DNS Web Filtering for MSPs is the Way Forward
MSPs have three main web filtering options open to them. An appliance-based web filter, a virtual appliance or software solution, or a DNS filter. DNS web filtering for MSPs is usually the best choice.
DNS web filtering for MSPs avoids the need for hardware purchases so there is not an initial high cost for clients or for the MSP, since a powerful appliance does not need to be installed in an MSP’s own data center. DNS web filtering for MSPs means no site visits are necessary to install the solution as no hardware is required and no software downloads are necessary. DNS web filtering is not restricted by operating systems and is hardware independent, and since there are no clients to install, there will not be any installation issues. A DNS web filter also doesn’t have any impact on Internet speed.
A SaaS DNS web filtering solution, such as WebTitan Cloud, allows MSPs to deploy the web filter for their clients in a few minutes. All that is required is to direct clients’ DNS to the cloud-based filter.
DNS web filtering for MSPs is easy to implement, simple to use, requires little management, and with WebTitan Cloud, MSPs benefit from generous margins. Improving clients’ security posture and helping them make important productivity gains could not be easier.
Why WebTitan Cloud is the Best Choice for MSPs
WebTitan Cloud has been developed to meet the needs of the SMB marketplace but the solution was developed specifically to meet the needs of MSPs. WebTitan Cloud includes a full suite of pre-configured reports (with scope for customization) to allow MSPs to show their clients the sites that have been blocked and what employees have been up to online. The reports give MSP clients total visibility into their web traffic and highlight problem areas and trends affecting network performance. The reports can be automated and sent directly to clients with no MSP involvement.
WebTitan Cloud Features
- DNS-based web filter with no latency
- Real-time antivirus, malware, spyware, and adware protection
- URL filtering using pre-defined categories
- Content blocking with the option for time-based rules
- Integration with LDAP and Active Directory
- Incorporates web-based application filtering
- Supports whitelists and blacklists
- Contains a comprehensive reporting suite
- Full set of APIs for easy back-end integration
- Scalable with no limits on bandwidth, number of routers, or locations
- Support clients with dynamic or static IPs
Some of the key benefits of TitanHQ’s DNS web filtering for MSPs are detailed below:
- WebTitan Cloud can be hosted by TitanHQ, in a private cloud on AWs, or within an MSP’s own infrastructure
- WebTitan Cloud includes APIs to integrate with auto-provisioning, billing, and monitoring systems
- MSPs do not need to become an ISP to use the service
- WebTitan Cloud is scalable to hundreds of thousands of users
- WebTitan Cloud includes multiple management roles
- New customers and WiFi hotspots can be added and configured in minutes
- One control panel to manage all clients
- Intuitive controls with low management overhead
- Eliminates the need for site visits, with no local support required
- WebTitan Cloud can be supplied in white-label form ready for an MSP’s logos and color schemes
- MSPs benefit from industry-leading customer service
- Highly competitive usage-based pricing with generous margins for MSPs and aligned monthly billing
If you have yet to start offering web filtering to your clients or if you are unhappy with the usability or cost of your current solution, contact TitanHQ’s Alliance team today for full product details, details of pricing, to book a product demonstration and register for a free 30-day no obligation trial.
“WebTitan is an outstanding tool for most reliable content filtering. The monitoring feature of this specific product is quite unique that totally monitors all the process of online working and also secures all the data. Additionally, its set-up is superb easy and it can be done in just few minutes that save my time and energy as well.” Kristie H. Account Manager
“WebTitan is fairly easy to setup. It is available as a cloud based solution or on prem. You can get as simple or as complicated with your filtering as you like, it will handle most situations with ease. It has provided us with a stable web filtering platform that has worked well for us for many years. ” Derek A. Network Manager
“WebTitan is outstanding software that helps me a lot in minimizing viruses. The thing I like most about WebTitan is that it is extremely easy to use and configure. I like its clear interface. It lets us block malicious content and spam easily. It is no doubt an amazing product helping us a lot in kicking out harmful bad stuff.” Randy Q. Software Engineer
- MSP moves from OpenDNS to WebTitan to eliminate customer onboarding complexity. Visit Case Study.
- As a web filtering service provider, Family-Guard business grows at a staggering rate, adding customers to their WebTitan service daily. Visit Case Study
- Whitepaper – 8 Reasons MSP must add web filtering to their service stack
- Whitepaper – 4 Myths About DNS Filtering
- Comparison Guide – WebTitan Cloud versus OpenDNS – take a closer look